Indigo Insights

Tuesday, December 02, 2003
 
HOLIDAYS

It's December so let's launch the Christmas Season with this lovely musical video, especially meaningful to rednecks. Turn up speakers and click here.


GI'S CHRISTMAS

Baldilocks linked this from Sgt. Hook over the holidays. If you'd like a printable or emailable copy, go here.

GI's Christmas
The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
I gazed 'round the room and I cherished the sight;
My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.

Outside the snow fell....a blanket of white,
Transforming the yard to a winter delight;
The sparkling lights on the tree, I believe,
Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.

My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,
Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep;
In perfect contentment, or so it would seem.
So I slumbered in peace, then I started to dream.

The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,
But I opened my eyes when it came to my ear;
Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know,
Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.

My soul gave a tremble. I struggled to hear,
And I crept to the door just to see who was near;
Standing out there alone in the cold of the night,
A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.

A soldier, I reckoned, some eighteen years old,
Perhaps a Marine, huddled there in the cold;
Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,
Standing watch over me, my wife, and my child.

"What are you doing?" I asked without fear,
"Come in this moment! It's freezing out here;
Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,
You should be at home on this cold Christmas Eve!"

For barely a moment, I saw his eyes shift,
Away from the cold, and the snow in a drift;
To the windows that danced with a warm fire's light,
Then he sighed, and he said, "It's really all right."

"I'm out here by choice. I'm here all the time,
It's my duty to stand at the front of the line;
No one has to ask me, or beg, or implore,
I'm proud to stand here like my father before."

"My grandpa at Pearl, on a day in December,
Is a memory my grandma will always remember;
My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam,
And now it's my turn, and so, here I am.

I've not seen my family in more than a while,
But my parents send pictures. They're great for a smile.
"Then he bent down and carefully pulled from his bag,
The Red, White, and Blue. An American flag.

Hook out.
Posted by Hook at November 22, 2003


>^..^<™ PUSSYFOOTIN'
>^..^< While President George W. Bush was embraced warmly by the more than 600 troops he served dinner to in Baghdad on Thanksgiving, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton didn't get the same treatment. See links at McGehee Zone. Verrrrrrrrry interesting.
>^..^< More entertainment for Expectant Bloggers here
>^..^< And why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up like every two hours?
>^..^< Give a look at the newly rolled bloggers listed below. Stop by to visit soon, before the (loosely defined) blogroll disappears!