Indigo Insights

Thursday, February 05, 2004
 
indigoinsights[at]hotmail[dot]com

>^..^<™

>^..^< From Betsy: The White House list of the 65 programs it hopes to terminate in 2005. Where does she find this stuff? Thanks, Betsy.
UPDATE: Sorry. I didn't realize a registration was required. It's a very revealing list, but may or may not be worth it to you.

>^..^< TacJammer links James Lileks:
Heard a John Kerry speech today: ended with “Purple Haze,” I think. As a Hendrix tune for the campaign, it’s better than “Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire,” which would be the most inapt Kerry tune imaginable. He has no fire. He wouldn’t catch fire if you doused him in kerosene and shot Roman Candle balls at him. He’s a sopping-wet asbestos poncho. But it was the 60s music that made me shudder. It appears that in the middle of the new war we’re going to revisit the most important war ever, Vietnam.
I think I speak for millions when I say that I am deathly sick of the counterculture sixties. The music, the war, the protests, all the hagiography - it's not a reflection of the era’s importance but the self-importance of the generation who hung on the bus as it trundled along down the same old rutted road of history.. I’m tired of hearing about the boomers’ days of whine and neuroses; I’m weary of ritual genuflection to their musical icons; I’m utterly disinterested in most of the pop-cult trivia they hold so dear. We’ll probably be better off when that demographic pig has been excreted from the python so we can see the era clearly without choking on the smoke.
I’m waiting for a Kerry speech in which he seems angrier about 9/11 than he does about tax cuts.
The Lileks post in its entirety can be read here at The Bleat.

>^..^<
The nice gentleman over at Can You Hear Me Now asks "Wouldn't it be nice?" - and yes, it really would. For a warm feeling, along with some reality, click over and read all he has to say.

>^..^<
John Edwards' smooth and funny delivery of Letterman's Top Ten really did make me laugh out loud. If what this country needs in a president is personality and charisma, John-boy's definitely got it. Guess that's what the millions thought who saw The Bubba and The Horn on Arsenio.

>^..^< Kuro5hin (whoever that is) suffered a major fisking at the hands of John of Argghhh. Read it and see what you think the moral is. I think I got it. And I bet Kuro5hin did too.

>^..^< Most Americans -- no, make that some Americans - remember our vets on various designated days throughout the year. Jennifer Martinez remembers them every single day on her Collection of Thoughts weblog. Please visit her Collection as often as you can.


SM™
SENIOR DISCOUNT

Last year I replaced several windows in my house. They were the expensive double-insulated energy efficient windows. This week I got a call from the contractor complaining that the work has been done for a year and I had failed to pay for them.

Boy, oh boy, did we go 'round and 'round. I told him no one pulls a fast one on this little old lady. Even though I am a senior citizen and used to be a blonde, doesn't mean that I am automatically stupid!

I proceeded to tell him just what his salesman told me last year; that, "in one year they would pay for themselves."