Indigo Insights

Tuesday, May 03, 2005
 

Brooklyn renames street for hero of Operation Iraqi Freedom
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 2005429102256
Story by Sgt. Beth Zimmerman

The corner of Bushwick Avenue and Pilling Street in Brooklyn were renamed in honor of Lance Cpl. William White in June of 2004. White died while he was deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. "Marine Lance Corporal William Wayne White Street" is the most recent New York City street renamed in honor of a Marine. The corner of Corbin Place and Oriental Boulevard in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, will be renamed, "Heroes of Operation Iraqi Freedom" to honor those who have fought and are currently fighting the war on terrorism. The street renaming ceremony in Brighton Beach will take place May 5.

Read entire article here.




PUSSYFOOTIN'™
with Lynx


>^..^< May 21 is Armed Forces Day. Posters may be ordered. H/T to Chuck at YBMY.

>^..^< A Sailor in the Desert is celebrating his 10,000th viewer. Congrats, Sailor.

>^..^< What's going on in my backyard? See here. Thanks, Marines!

>^..^< indigoinsights [at] hotmail [dot] com

>^..^< Reminder from Jen Martinez via Dexter Lehtinen's article: Jane Fonda in Wonderland.


AND FROM SGT GRIT:

I CAN'T SAY I WAS CHESTY PULLER - - - - - -

To All who shall see these presents, Greetings:

All good war stories can, must & will begin the same.......Say it with me, my Brothers...."Now This Ain't No Sh!t!"
I am a Viet Vet and like many others was treated badly upon return to "The World." On the streets of Baltimore walking with a cane, I was spit on by a young "LADY" who called me a baby killer.(I have always wondered if that came from a movie or was it S. O. P. for civilians?) Her boyfriend & others soon had me on the pavement turtled up to protect myself. I went down swinging. I can't say I was "Chesty Puller" but those long hairs knew they had been in it. When I had done my best, I was forced to turtle up. Now we come to it. The SEMPER FIDELIS of our story...... The two sweetest sounds I have ever heard.

1. A shotgun blast
2. The firm voice of my older Marine brother: "The next son-of-a B!tch that lays hand, foot or drop of spit upon my little Marine brother dies in his tracks."

I was taken inside; he & his wife tended wounds to body & soul. When the cops showed up, denials of the incident & firearm were accepted by a young cop, whom the lady of the house said had a "HIGH & TIGHT." They gave me a beer & a ten-spot. I was also given a promise of help, comfort & friendship at their home for as long as they lived. "Young Marine, this is all you need to know, THIS Old Marine loves you." They were my friends for about 2 years until I came back to my hometown.

Like I was told at MCRD San Diego: "Wherever you go in this world & life you will find other Marines who will help you on your way. They are your brothers, comrades in arms, life & death. They will care for & keep you as you will also do for them & others. This is our sacred bond & duty to our brothers."

Do they still give this speech? Those events happened in 1969 Today I live in Flint Michigan. Still walking with a cane, I will always & ever remember the kindness of my older Marine brother. I hold doors for others and remind them that "GOOD MANNERS
YET LIVE." (I got that from my Senior Drill Instructor, in his talk on setting a Marine example.) I always buy a Marine whatever he is drinking at the bar. I have on a number of occasions given $10 bills to young Marines in need of gas or groceries. On those occasions when I repay that good Marine deed of 1969; I always get choked up when I quote those good words. "Young Marine, this is all you need to know, THIS Old Marine loves you."

I would like to hear of other personal traditions.
Whatever traditions you have pass them on. We are Unique.
The few, the proud, the Marines.

Don Ryan



SENIOR MOMENT

Hospital regulations require a wheelchair for patients being discharged. However, while working as a student nurse, I found one elderly gentleman already dressed and sitting on the bed with a suitcase at his feet, who insisted he didn't need my help to leave the hospital.

After a chat about rules being rules, he reluctantly let me wheel him to the elevator. On the way down I asked him if his wife was meeting him. "I don't know," he said. "She's still upstairs in the bathroom changing out of her hospital gown."

Oh Well. . . .



ASININE PONDERABLES
Author unknown -- Carlin or Wright are suspected


Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

If a 911 operator has a heart attack, whom does he/she call?

Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly thgs here, and drink whatever comes out!"