Indigo Insights

Saturday, September 14, 2002
 
TWEETY BIRD EMASCULATED

Tweety Bird's defining trade mark alert, "I tawt I taw a putty tat." has gone the way of much classic nostalgic humor we seniors enjoyed in our childhoods. Hysterically pants-wetting funny to countless kids since his cartoon creation (late 40s/early50s?), Tweety apparently is yet another PC victim. Anyone notice the new cartoons have him saying "I thought I saw a kitty cat."? Thereby killing two offensive birds (forgive me, Tweety!) with one censorship stone: elimination of reference to a speech impediment (even baby talk) and a now-unacceptable nursery rhyme word.

Agreed that physical or mental handicaps (sorry, "challenges") should not be mocked. Admittedly rap music has debased Mother Gooses's innocent pussy cat. But Tweety is a baby, for God's sake! Where will it end? I recommend a nationwide email campaign to Walt Disney Studios requesting that they refrain from bowing to the will of Hollywood Political Correctness and give Tweety back his natural personna. Or, how about "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."?