Indigo Insights

Wednesday, January 12, 2005
 
NURSES AND COPS

It would appear that nurses and cops would make perfect marriage partners. They seem to have so much in common, I mean. Rivrdog pointed out some cop traits and as I read his post I was reminded of my nurse daughter. But there are other kinds of nurses. They aren't all tough, you know. I know one intimately who chose a field in which she would see no blood. And then there's Mrs. GOC, Winston-Salem who apparently was repulsed by the rearranged brains of the terrorist over at GOC, Atlanta. Which reminds me of another nurse story that happened to an old friend of mine. She was a public health nurse for several years, but dropped out of nursing to raise a family. Few years later, she decided to go back to work and began to send in her resume to a few places. She was called to interview with a large company locating in our area that was setting up a first aid building at their construction site and wanted a RN to supervise. The interview was going well (she told me later) when the interviewer said to her: "I see all your experience has been in public health. You know there's a big difference in public health nursing and nursing at a major construction site. For instance, how do you think you'd feel if an injured man came in and handed you a severed finger?" Without missing a beat, she replied, "I'd feel fine as long as it wasn't my finger." Yep. She got the job.



MORE JOKES FROM DICK & JANE

*While on the freeway in Los Angeles, I was behind a pack of cars. The last driver was on the phone and drifting all over the road. This did not escape the attention of a California Highway Patrol officer, who snuck up behind her and said over his loudspeaker, "If you can't stay in your lane while on the phone, pull over until the call is completed." Immediately eight cars pulled over.

*My husband, John, was upset when our neighbor Bart Gorman passed away. He respected Bart as a fellow lawyer and valued him as a friend. At the wake, the man's son, Bart Gorman, Jr., and grandson, Bart Gorman III, were greeting the mourners. John introduced himself to both men and said, "Please accept my sympathy. There'll never be another Bart Gorman."

*My wife and I were having lunch at a fashionable eatery in Annapolis when we noticed what looked like a familiar face at the next table. Screwing up my courage, I asked, "Excuse me. Aren't you Marlin Fitzwater, the former White House press secretary?" "Yes, I am," he acknowledged, and graciously interrupted his lunch to talk to us. As we were leaving the restaurant, I remarked to the hostess, "Do you know you have Marlin Fitzwater on the terrace?" "I'm not sure about that," she replied, "but we have Perrier and Evian at the bar."



SENIOR MOMENT

A very elderly gentleman, (mid nineties) very well dressed, hair well groomed, great looking suit, flower in his lapel smelling slightly of a good after shave, presenting a well looked after image, walks into an upscale cocktail lounge. Seated at the bar is an elderly looking lady, (mid eighties). The gentleman walks over, sits along side of her, orders a drink, takes a sip, turns to her and says, "So tell me, do I come here often?"



Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
~Langston Hughes


Being considerate of others will take your children further in life than any college degree.
~Marian Wright Edelman


Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
~Richard Bach