Indigo Insights

Wednesday, February 27, 2002
 

BLUE INDIGO

Creator gave you two ears and one mouth. So you can listen twice as much as you speak.
-Lakota Elder

Now why don't I follow that wise advice ALL the time? Found myself breaking that rule (one of my personal Golden Rules, by the way) today. It dawned on me, right in the middle of a real ear-bending session to a friend of mine, that I was beginning to sound like a real haranguer. Sorry I let it get that far, but in my own defense, I'll plead The Blues. They have attacked me vicariously through the suffering of someone very close to me.

Strong emotions are tied to really dear friends. This dear lady has been very close to me for 25 years and I really do feel her pain. (Previous president having almost made a joke of this cliche, notwithstanding!) She (I'll call her Carol) has been on a death-bed watch with her 38 year old son for over a month now. The doctors gave him a 50% chance of survival at the time of admittance to the hospital, then 20%. Only another mother can imagine the stress and suffering of being the mother in such a situation. Although separated by 100 miles, we have had telephone talks every day - sometimes 2 or more - and it seems we have been through it all together. Guess the bottom line is I have shared Carol's frustrating hurt for several weeks and when I got a chance to share mine with someone, I let go too much. Consolation: God loves a cheerful listener! Bless my BBD.