Musings of the Chronologically Challenged™ Fourth Generation
Tuesday, December 10, 2002
MAN'S BEST FRIEND
My Number Two Grandson moved to another city about a month ago. He's the musician/animal-lover GS. There is also a football hero GS (#3) and a professional, settled, married GS (#1). #2 has been really lonely - especially after his girl friend moved out and took the dog!!! Actually, he seemed to miss the dog more than the GF. His sister (my #1 GrandDaughter) has been trying to find a dog for him through her vet/shelter connections, but until last Friday had not been successful. On Friday, #2 left for a weekend camping trip - to the mountains, where the temps were in the teens. brrrrrrrr If you have any kids or grand-kids from this generation, save yourself a lot of wear and tear on the synapses and stop right now trying to figure out their reasoning faculties.
The #1 GD is a persistent, industrious little thing and she pulled out all her stops (and favors, I assume) to get a Golden Retriever ready for adoption while #2 GS was camping. The year-old male adoptee was all bathed, brushed, beautiful. and ready for his new home when #2 came back Sunday night. I knew the surprise was planned, but was sworn to secrecy. So later in the night when #2 telephoned and said "Guess what I've got in my lap?", of course I played dumb. He was ecstatic while telling me the dog-tail! Very happy to have a friend in the house. This is his first time living alone. He said it will be so nice to have a welcome-home greeting when he came in. So he went to bed very happy with his new room mate, and so did GD because she had been instrumental in making her brother so happy, and so did I because both of them were so happy. (OK, so you're underwhelmed. Be thankful I didn't have any pics!)
SOUTHERN THANG (s)
+This is a sweet reminder (with speakers) to our Southern gentlemen - and to the other gentlemen, Eat Your Hearts Out.
+More about North Carolinians....
You know you're from North Carolina if - -
You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.
You know what "cow tipping" is.
You only own four spices: salt, pepper, texas pete and catsup.
The local papers cover national and international news on one page but requires 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
+And the latest chapter of Chuck's Southern childhood is out. Don't miss "Loading Your Own".
GRASS STILL GROWING?
RIVER STILL FLOWING?
Every Native American and American taxpayer should be outraged at this. If you'd like to forward the article to your senator's attention, he or she will be here someplace.
BEST OF THE WEB
If you missed James Taranto yesterday (Dec. 9), pick it up here. It's an outstanding one.
FROM THE IN-BOX
Top 10 Reasons Republicans Love Santa Claus
10. He is married to a woman who does nothing but stay at home and bake.
9. Like many Catholic priests, Father Christmas uses promises of candy and toys to get children to sit on his lap while his "little helper" takes pictures.
8. Only a republican could love a man who breaks into your home in the middle of the night to stuff your socks full of a polluting fossil fuel because he thinks you were naughty.
7. Like George W. Bush, Santa has spent most of his life surrounded by giant piles of white powder.
6. Santa continues to force his elf labor to work year round without pay.
5. Santa is always sticking his nose in people's bedrooms to see if they are sleeping or awake.
4. Santa set up his toy factory at the North Pole to avoid EPA restrictions and labor laws.
3. Santa sits on his butt 364 days a year, then because he's generous for one night, he expects to be called a saint.
2. Santa is a big fat white guy that has everybody under constant surveillance to see if they've been bad or good.
1. Just like compassionate conservatism, corporate responsibility, and the liberal media... only a child is naive enough to believe Santa Claus