Indigo Insights

Friday, June 13, 2003
 
From Gut Rumbles Comments
Posted by Buster at June 12, 2003 06:40 PM

I think Neal Boortz said it best, so I won't try to top him -

"If you wrote down on 5x7 index cards what the average American college student knows about economics, wadded those index cards up into one spit wad, and then shoved that spit wad up an ant's butt, it would rattle around in there like a BB in a boxcar."

What do you expect? Compared to 100 years ago, our "average" students are idiots. I am more intelligent than the average bear, or so I like to think. For grins and giggles I took a HIGH SCHOOL exit exam from 1895. I learned very quickly I am a freakin' moron.

High school students of 100 years ago were doing COLLEGE level work - or what we call college level today - so how can we expect more educated people from a system that continually lowers expectations.

As a businessman, I don't care how Johnny feels about himself. Can Johnny read at a college level, do math at a college level, or THINK at a college level? Let Johnny contemplate his navel on his own time. On MY time, I expect him to perform by the standards *I* set.

That might mean Johnny might have to WORK! Damn right, just like I have to. Vacation time? I am about to take my first one in 12 years. Why do you DESERVE more than I do? You may EARN it from me, but don't expect me to hand it over for the asking.

And there lies the problem. We have collectively raised a generation that thinks the world really DOES owe them a living. Shame on us. No wonder so many run around with their hands out.

Or in the words of Pogo - we have seen the enemy, and they is us!


Six Presidents On a Sinking Ship:
Ford puzzles, "What do we do?"
Bush yells, "Man the lifeboats!"
Reagan mutters, "What lifeboats?"
Carter orders, "Women first!"
Nixon rants, "Screw the women!"
Clinton says, "You think we have time?"


>^..^< PUSSYFOOTIN'

>^..^< "I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic."
>^..^< "My husband said it was him or the cat ... I miss him sometimes."
>^..^< "Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit."
>^..^< The difference between the Pope and your boss. The Pope only expects you to kiss his ring.
>^..^< My next house will have no kitchen---just vending machines and a large trash can.
>^..^< My neighbor was bitten by a stray rabid dog. I went to see how he was and found him writing frantically. I told him rabies could be cured and he didn't have to worry about a Will. He said, "Will!? What will? I'm making a list of the people I wanna bite."
>^..^< What's the difference in Friday Five and Indigo Friday? Cut and paste.