Indigo Insights

Monday, October 13, 2003
 
THE LOATHING OF LIMBAUGH
Some commenters at South Knox Bubba's have proudly announced their satisfaction at the "comeuppance" of Rush Limbaugh. I don't care about Limbaugh's politics (nor theirs) and do not listen to his radio show. But I say unequivocally that had his detractors ever suffered unrelenting pain, they would have an entirely different perspective. I don't mean a headache, or a toothache, or a pulled muscle, or even the dreaded tennis elbow. I'm talking about constant pain for weeks or months. Like Kim du Toit, I had decided not to post on this subject, but I did leave a comment at Bubba's - actually, more of an appeal for a little compassion to another human being, be he Democrat or Republican. What I said was: "Forget politics for a moment and think of someone you have known who has had "corrective" back surgery. A misnomer, BTW. Did anyone you know ever become addicted and die - other than Agin Lib? I had vertebra surgery two years ago and haven't been out of pain since. I've learned to live with it, but I don't have a demanding schedule like TV people. A 40 year old friend of mine had back surgery two years ago and died nine months later due to complications from oxycontin. Sounds like most of you guys need to take a walk in a pain-sufferer's moccasins. Or is your venom attributable to your dislike of the man? Could you feel an ounce of compassion for, say, Raymond?"

Russ Emerson had a life experience with pain killers to share. "In 1973, when I was 11 years old, my father (aged 37 - four years younger than I am at this writing) had surgery on his lower back for a disc problem. He was better, but back problems tend to never go away. A number of years later, I had injured a knee and was having surgery of my own, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and Dad told me a story about his own stay in the hospital." Please go to TacJammer and read the rest of his story.

Kim du Toit said "There is no more debilitating and frightening monster in the human condition as chronic physical pain. ... Constant, unending pain means you don't sleep -- I may have had three hours sleep a week, total, at one point. That pain means you can't think -- I couldn't read, or watch TV, or carry a conversation." Kim also gave an ominous warning to those who "don't know what the hell you're talking about" in regard to addictions due to pain. Read his post in its entirety too. If you've never experienced unrelenting pain and have no concept of its pitiless torture, just consider yourself fortunate. Don't gloat, please.


REVOLTING RACISM
For another appalling look into the hatefulness of human nature, read the ongoing S-Train saga of a man who protected his home, wife and children from intruders and somehow this has turned into yet another racial brouhaha. Juliette of Baldilocks has her say on the matter here, but if you want a more bucolic take, go to Glenn's house and follow his links. This will doubtlessly be another long-running item. Stay updated if you intend to comment, or endure the consequences. Like Kim, Glenn is taking no prisoners. And neither of them suffer fools.

Donnie raises some good points.
And Acidman has opinions too.


Thought for the Day: "When life hands you lemons - Grab the salt & pass the tequila, baby..."


STORIES OF THE HEART

Someone who teaches at a Middle School in Safety Harbor, Florida forwarded the following letter. The letter was sent to the principal's office after the school had sponsored a luncheon for the elderly. An elderly lady received a new radio at the lunch as a door prize, and was writing to say thank you. This story is a credit to all humankind. Forward it to anyone you know who might need a lift today!

"Dear Safety Harbor Middle School;

"God bless you for the beautiful radio I won at your recent senior citizens' luncheon. I am 84 years old and live at the Safety Harbor Assisted Home for the Aged. All of my family has passed away. I am all alone now and it's nice to know that someone is thinking of me. God bless you for your kindness to an old forgotten lady.

"My roommate is 95 and always had her own radio, but before I received one, she would never let me listen to hers, even when she was napping. The other day her radio fell off the night stand and broke into a lot of pieces. It was awful and she was in tears. She asked if she could listen to mine, and I said f*#% you."

Thank you for that opportunity.
Sincerely,
Edna Walters
[and thanks to Bob, Kinston, NC]