Indigo Insights

Wednesday, March 24, 2004
 
GRAND THEFT, BLOG

Baldilocks' post of March 23 is a "must read.' And the following comment from one of her readers is a "must steal" - in toto. Gratifying to have my admiration for Mark Twain confirmed!

Geeze, I think this is the first time I've agreed with everybody on a comments listing. I never understood why we rolled over for Mao on the "one China" issue and removed support from Taiwan and helped put them out of the U.N. (which may not necessarilly be a bad thing for them).

The French seem to labor to prove Mark Twain right:

"France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
- Notebook #18, Feb.- Sept. 1879

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals--apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country."
- Mark Twain's Notebook

"There is nothing lower than the human race except the French."
- quoted by Carl Dolmetsch, Our Famous Guest

"In certain public indecencies the difference between a dog & a Frenchman is not perceptible."
- Notebook #17, October 1878 - February 1879

"A dead Frenchman has many good qualities, many things to recommend him; many attractions--even innocencies. Why cannot we have more of these?"
- Notebook #20, Jan. 1882 - Feb. 1883

It seems that some things never change.

I understand that the French are discussing having their next nuclear aircraft carrier build by the British. The one they have, "Charles de Gaulle", is not only a floating wreck, it has insufficient shielding in the reactor spaces and exposes the crew to something like five times the maximum levels of radiation.

Perhaps they could design in a glass bottom for viewing the past French fleets.

You're right, Louis. You are the first person I recall mentioning that "our oldest friend" is also our oldest enemy. They inspired the creation of the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marines with their undeclared war.


Posted by: StinKerr | March 24, 2004 12:36 AM

Thumbs up, StinKerr. Will be watching for more of your comments.



>^..^< He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

>^..^< Thomas A. Lipscomb, New York Sun: Kerry’s Campaign Asked a Veteran to Change Story. Link from blogoSFERICS.

>^..^< Thanks, RC. Intimidation is a bad feeling! LOL



- KID STUFF -

I was testing the children in my Sunday school class to see
if they understood the concept of getting to heaven.

I asked them, "If I sold my house and my car, had a big
garage sale and gave all my money to the church, would
that get me into Heaven?"

"NO!" the children answered.

"If I cleaned the church every day, mowed the yard, and
kept everything neat and tidy, would that get me into Heaven?"

Again, the answer was, "NO!"
By now I was starting to smile. Hey, this was fun!

"Well, then, if I was kind to animals and gave candy to
all the children, and loved my husband, would that get me
into Heaven?" I asked them again.

Again, they all answered, "NO!"
I was just bursting with pride for them.

Well, I continued, "then how can I get into Heaven?"

A five-year-old boy shouted out,
"YOU GOTTA BE DEAD."

[thanks to Don, in the mountains of Virginia]



MORE FROM TWISTED STEVEN WRIGHT

*****Two babies were born on the same day at the same hospital. They lay there and looked at each other. Their families came and took them away. Eighty years later, by a bizarre coincidence, they lay in the same hospital, on their deathbeds, next to each other. One of them looked at the other and said, "So. What did you think?"
*****I wrote a song, but I can't read music so I don't know what it is. Every once in a while I'll be listening to the radio and I say, "I think I might have written that."
*****[Referring to a glass of water:] I mixed this myself. Two parts H, one part O. I don't trust anybody!
*****I went to this restaurant last night that was set up like a big buffet in the shape of a Ouija board. You'd think about what kind of food you want, and the table would move across the floor to it.
*****I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.