Indigo Insights

Friday, March 26, 2004
 
indigoinsights[at]hotmail[dot]com
Just a few things - and all from my mailbox. Time would not allow enough chair-time for blogging today.



[The irony of the following email is that I received it from a Hispanic Marine friend! And he noted on it "love this!"
B.]

HASTA LA VISTA, BABY?
Always be careful what you ask for, you just may get it!!


One of the many headaches that the U. S. has had was the Puerto Rican Island of Vieques. In the waning years of the Clinton administration, protesters demanded that the US Navy abandon bombing and naval gun fire exercises that had taken place on the largely uninhabited island for nearly seventy years.

Liberal icons bumped into one another to fly to Puerto Rico, boat over to the island, to trespass (but never on a day that there was an exercise scheduled) and get arrested for the benefit of the New York Times or Newsweek. They included the Reverend Al Sharpton, Mrs. Jesse Jackson, Joan Baez, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Edward Olmos, Michael Moore and Ramsey Clark, just to name a few.

In 2002, the bombing exercises were transferred to an Air Force bombing range in central Florida, not far from the Jacksonville and Pensacola Naval Air Stations. In January, many of the protesters were back in Puerto Rico, celebrating the final bombing exercise on Vieques and waved Puerto Rican flags and placards that read "U.S. Navy, get out of Puerto Rico."

The following Feb, Rumsfeld announced that the U.S. Navy will close the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puerto Rico in 2004, eliminating 1200 civilian jobs as well as 700 military positions. This naval facility is estimated to put nearly $300 million annually into the local economy.

The next day a stunned Governor Sila Calderon held a news conference in San Juan, protesting the base closure as a serious blow to Commonwealth's fragile economy. The governor stated that "The people of Puerto Rico don't now or never did have an interest in closing the Vieques bombing range or the Roosevelt Roads naval base. We are interested in both staying in Puerto Rico."

When asked, the Commander-in Chief, Western Atlantic Command, said,"Without Vieques, I see no further need for the facility at Roosevelt Roads; none." So, Yanqui go home? Fine; but we'll take our dollars with us. Hasta la vista, baby!

On February 21, the Secretary of Defense also announced that starting this year, the U.S. European Command would begin moving most if not all of its active combat and support units from bases in Germany to others being established in Poland, The Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey to "better position them for rapid deployment to likely hot spots in those parts of the world".

Immediately the business and government leaders in the German states of Hesse, Rhineland and Wurttemburg, protested the loss of nearly $6 billion in revenue each year from the bases and manpower to be displaced. A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry speculated that the move may be "what the Americans call 'payback' for the actions of this government in opposing military action in Iraq." Does anyone know the German translation for "Hasta la vista, baby?"

Oh, ain't it nice to see a government with guts and a good memory. What fun!



I AM A TEACHER

I am a teacher . . . And I am tired.

Tired of......
> > politics, frustrated colleagues,
> > semiconscious students,
> > media hype and especially, ......I am tired of
> > parents who expect me to resolve their children's problems.

I simply do not have the answers.
I have tried everything...... I have hugged your child, listened to your child, bought supplies for your child, and reminded your child of the importance of getting an education ..... as well as the importance of caring about life with heart genuineness.

I have read......Theories on how to teach at-risk students. (this includes the entire student population, because "at-risk" is really defined as children growing up without parental supervision).

I have read....... theories on how to teach pregnant students, students on drugs, abused students, high-energy students, shy students, female students and male students.

I have...... attended conferences for ideas on how to teach hands-on activities, higher level thinking skills, cooperative learning groups, technology, standards-based education and numerous other strategies.

I have...... lain awake at night rolling over and over in my head solutions, and lamentations.

I have..... cried tears, trying to find the answers for motivating your child to have success in my classroom and in life.

I am a teacher.
I am not a doctor,
I am not a psychiatrist,
I am not a former drug addict.
I am not God, and.....
I am, emphatically and unequivocally, not your child's parent.

I am a teacher.

I am tired......
> of politicians blaming policy-makers,
> of state government blaming localities,
> of administration blaming central office
> of central office blaming school board
> of school board blaming city council, and........
> everyone blaming teachers.

But I have to tell you..... the students who have success in my classroom are the ones whose parents I have met at every open house and on every parent/teacher conference day. So, please, do not tell me that educators are the solution.

The solution.... the power and the state of your child's welfare lie in your hands. Not in mine, but in the hands of you, the parent. And if you don't want to lose another educator who cares, who sweats, who encourages your child.....then I suggest you get to your child's school and make education matter in your child's life.

Because I am a *teacher*!

Written by a TEACHER in the Jacksonville Florida Public School System


>^..^< PUSSYFOOTIN'™

>^..^< Received this today from a fan.

>^..^< Lets all listen to this at least one time, so we don't forget......I Pledge Allegiance -- By Red Skelton

>^..^< And for those who think they know it all already, when you get HERE you will be correct!



CHRISTIAN ONE-LINERS

+ I don't know why some people change churches; what difference does it make which one you stay home from?

+ A lot of church members who are singing "Standing on the Promises" are just sitting on the premises.

+ We were called to be witnesses, not lawyers or judges.

+ To make a long story short - just don't tell it.

+ Coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous.